Expatriation – The Final Solution

Each month I get one or two inquiries from U.S. citizens who have had enough and want to give up their U.S. citizenship. While it is rare for someone to take such drastic steps, especially after they learn how to manage their U.S. tax obligations while living abroad, it is an important subject. Here are the facts:

Individuals who give up their U.S. citizenship, or long-term residents who give up their residency status after June 16, 2008 are subject to a mark-to-market tax regime under which they are taxed on the unrealized gain in their property to the extent it exceeds $651,000 for 2012.

To calculate gain, the IRS assumes the all of your assets were sold at fair market value on the day before you expatriated. If the net gain from these deemed sales exceed $651,000, you pay tax on that difference.

These rules apply to any U.S. citizen who relinquishes citizenship or any long-term resident who ceases to be a lawful permanent resident of the United States, and the individual who has:

  1. An average annual net income tax liability for the five preceding years of more than $145,000,
  2. A net worth of $2 million or more on the expatriation date, or
  3. Fails to certify under penalty of perjury that he or she has complied with all U.S. tax obligations for the preceding five years or fails to submit evidence of compliance required by the IRS.

Of course, paying tax on assets you do not sell can cause a problem, for which the IRS has graciously made allowances: You may elect to defer this tax so long as you provide adequate security, as required by the IRS, to ensure payment and you give up any treaty rights that would preclude assessment or collection of the tax in the future.

In addition to any other requirement, an expatriate must also file an information return on Form 8854 in each tax year they are subject to the rules above. This form can be found at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8854.pdf

There are a lot of contingencies and complexities to the rules above. For example, special rules apply to deferred compensation items, interests in non-grantor trusts, special gift and inheritance rules, etc. Anyone considering expatriation should consult a tax expert.

U.S. licensed tax and expatriation experts are available to speak with you. Feel free to phone us at (619) 483-1708 or send an email to info@premieroffshore.com for a confidential consultation.

1 reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply